Skip to main content

Blog Tour Stop - The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse

Happy Christmas Eve and welcome to my stop on the blog tour for The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse.

 
 

What They Say:

Freya Braithwaite knows she is lucky. Nineteen years happily married to a man who still excites her, two beautiful teenaged daughters, and her dream career as a health food writer. Her home is filled with love and laughter, with a passion for food at its very core.

But no amount of love could have prepared Freya for the devastating impact of anorexia and bulimia on her family. In a desperate battle to rescue her youngest child from its clutches, Freya will do all she can to save her daughter, her marriage and her family. But how can she when food, the social glue of their family, is both the problem and the solution? Is Freya’s own obsession with clean eating partly to blame? And how can you save someone who doesn’t want to be saved? 

What I Say:

As always, I was excited at the prospect of a new Amanda Prowse novel. I knew I was in for an emotional read, her books always are, but I couldn't have known quite how hard this story would hit me.

The character of Lexi may only be 15 years old, but I identified with her pain in such a real way. My struggle and way of harming myself were different but the pain and self-hatred are the same. Lexi made me so sad, so desperately sad. I cried a lot of tears over this book. I read it twice, back to back, something I have never done before. It woke me up in the night to read a bit more. It haunted my thoughts for days.

Such is the power of Amanda Prowse. You just know that when you see her name on a book, you are in for a rollercoaster ride. I don't want to make this sound like a downer of a book, it wasn't at all. It was hopeful, warm and showed how a family can pull together when things hit rock bottom. There seems to be a strong family at the heart of most of Amanda's books. I love that. Freya, Lockie and Charlotte are such brilliant support for Lexi. They are so upset by her struggles but they do their utmost to hold it together and form a united front to help their youngest child through a very real, dark illness.

The research into Lexi's story, not only her physical state but the help available, the emotional highs
and lows and the very real people who supported the family, must have been so painstaking. It's all so real, so sympathetic and raw.

I loved everything about The Food of Love, except for the fact that people have to go through this horrible illness at all.

Powerful, emotional, gripping, beautiful and haunting.

Another perfect read from one of my favourite authors.  11/10



 Behind the Story:

Inspired by Amanda’s own extreme struggle with body image and a family history of anorexia, this is a compelling and heart-wrenching look at family, food and the challenge of raising teenagers in our self-obsessed, image conscious society. 

She now recognizes that the habits of her once anorexic mother had a profound effect on her growing up. By writing about eating disorders in The Food of Love, Amanda has faced her own food demons and has made incredible steps to correcting her unhealthy relationship with food. Since she started writing the book, Amanda has lost one and a half stone and aims to reach her target, healthy weight by 1st December, the publication date of The Food of Love.

The research into The Food of Love and eating disorders This novel confronts the issue of eating disorders, and in her research Amanda spoke to many sufferers of eating disorders and their families to fully understand the issue and its effect on a family as a whole. Several of the women she spoke to were her own readers, who having read Another Love which looks at the struggles of alcoholism, reached out to say it helped them understand their own demons with food. The ages of her interviewees ranged from 14 to 40 years old, and she recalls one interviewee telling her ‘When I die, then I will have won’. She also spoke to a family who had lost their child through an eating disorder, and she recalls them speaking of the relief they felt that their child was no longer suffering. Many of these experiences are depicted in The Food of Love and Amanda has ensured that her depictions have been well-researched and based on real-life account of eating disorder sufferers. 


 Connect with Amanda on Twitter at @MrsAmandaProwse  and on Facebook/amandaprowse


Praise for Amanda Prowse: 

‘A truly amazing piece of drama about a condition that could affect any one of us in a heartbeat.  Every mother should read this book’ – Danielle Lineker
 ‘A powerful and emotional work of fiction’ – Piers Morgan 
‘Deeply moving and emotional, Amanda Prowse handles her explosive subjects with delicate skill’ – Daily Mail
 ‘Uplifting and positive, but you will still need a box of tissues’ – Hello! 
 ‘A gut-wrenching and absolutely brilliant read’ – The Irish Sun 
‘You’ll fall in love with this…’ – Cosmopolitan 
‘Deeply moving and eye opening. Powerful and emotional drama that packs a real punch.’ – Heat
‘Magical’ – Now magazine

The Food of  Love is out now in Ebook and Paperback.

Thanks to Amanda and Simeon Prowse for my copy in exchange for my honest review.



Comments

  1. Hi Trish. I'm a huge fan of Amanda's books. She writes from the heart and that capability gets to my heart every time I read one of her novels. Food of Love totally crushed my heart. I could get about the relationship we/I have with food. From not eating at all to then binge eat and hate myself for doing this. This situation was and still is of past trauma's in my life. Just when you think you have control bang just a little comment or a family situation makes me want to eat everything in sight. So I really do get this fantastic novel from Amanda. Your review is exactly everything I have said and more. Here's to the next book :) x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tishylou Is Making A Comeback!

  Hi! Fancy seeing you here! Well, actually, fancy seeing ME here as I'm the one who has been AWOL. Life has been changing so much for me these past 3 years that my love of blogging got pushed aside. But I just celebrated my 49th birthday and felt compelled to revive my blog. I have still been reading and reviewing, but it's mainly been short posts on my social media pages, like Tiktok and Instagram. I really miss long form reviews and the personal posts I used to share with you. So, I'm going back to my roots. I plan on doing a Get To Know Me post soon for those of you who aren't familiar with me and my crazy life. That will be followed by bringing and expanding some of my Tiktok reviews on here. I have chosen 10 very special books for my first 2 weeks of posts, and I hope you'll feel how much I love them and what they mean to me.  So, I'll leave you with this for now. To those who have always supported and encouraged me, thank you from the bottom of my heart. ...

Blog Tour Stop and Review of All Wrapped Up by Heidi Swain

Hi friends! Long time no see! I have been so bad at blogging, and any book reviews I've done have been just on my social media pages. But it's tradition that when a new Heidi Swain book comes out, it HAS to appear on my blog! In fact, my last blog post was almost a year ago, for a Heidi book. If  you  know me at all, you know I love being in Heidi's books. They are so comforting, wholesome and hope filled. The locations are always idyllic and the characters always make me want to befriend them. All Wrapped Up is no exception. What They Say : In Wynbridge, the scent of autumn is on the breeze and love is in the air…   Clemmie Bennett has been renovating beautiful Rowan Cottage on the outskirts of the small town of Wynbridge, for eighteen months following a very public heartbreak back in her childhood hometown. The popular Instagram influencer, lost her husband, sold their home, and has been cosied up the Fens and living a very private life, but now she feels it’s time for ...

Blog Tour Stop with Review of Home For Christmas by Heidi Swain

Welcome to my Stop on the Blog Tour for Home For Christmas by Heidi Swain! What They Say: Bella is living her best life in Wynbridge, with her beloved Spaniel, Tink. She’s found a way to keep the house she inherited from her grandparents while expanding her dream business – Away With the Fairies – and she’s ecstatic that Christmas is on the horizon!   In fact, everything is perfect until family friend, Catherine Connelly asks Bella if she’d be willing to rent part of the house to freelance author, Jude who is researching the history of the Connelly Clan and Wynthorpe Hall ahead of turning his findings into a book. The plan had been for Jude to stay at the hall, but he can’t cope with the chaos and Bella reluctantly agrees to open her door to him.   Initially, the pair clash but then friendlier feelings begin to grow and Bella finds herself wondering if Jude could become more than just another guest before it’s time for him to leave. That is, until he announces he h...