Skip to main content

Book Review - Five Years From Now by Paige Toon

Welcome to my Review of Five Years From Now by Paige Toon



What They Say:

‘One day, maybe five years from now, you’ll look back and understand why this happened…’ 

Vian and Nell are thrown together at the age of five when Vian's mother and Nell's father fall in love. At first archenemies, the two children soon become the best of friends. But five years later, tragedy rips them apart, and 10-year-old Vian is sent to Australia to live with his real father.

Fast-forward five more years and Nell is still angry at her dad for not trying harder to keep Vian with them. When her father finances a Christmas trip for Evan to visit, Nell soon discovers that the boy she once knew is now a wholly different creature. Vian is now ‘Van’ – a wild and carefree teenager who surfs with dolphins and dives with sharks. Chemistry crackles between them, but once again, they’re separated.

For the next two decades, Nell and Van cross paths every five years, but fate and circumstance continuously intervene to keep them apart. Will they ever find true happiness? And will it be together?



What I Say:

I don't know how Paige Toon does it! Each book she writes is better than the last! It's hard to believe that anything could surpass my love for The Last Piece of My Heart, but Five Years From Now has done it!

Five Years From Now is beautiful, heart wrenching, warm, funny and life affirming. It made me think, cry, laugh, wish, dream, sigh, cry again. It is just the perfect book to read to escape from your troubles. Paige takes you on a journey across a lifetime and treats you to some beautiful insights into the lives of Nell, Vian and their families and friends.

Nell and Vian are an amazing pair of characters and I laughed and cried following their journey. I also loved meeting Ellie, Nick and co. They are such a wonderfully woven cast of characters and it's a pleasure to follow them through the years as they grow and change.

Cornwall is the most glorious setting and I felt like I was really there. I could fully imagine myself sitting on a beach watching the guys surf or paddling Platypus across the lake, coming home caked in mud. I was fully immersed in the destination and when we visited Australia, my senses were overloaded with the beauty written on the pages. I could completely picture every landmark.

I can't tell you how much I cried reading this book, how much it reminded me of my Mum in places, made me yearn to be home in Canada in others and how happy I was with the way things came together.

This is just a stunning, beautiful book! 10/10

Thanks to Jess Barratt at Simon and Schuster for sending me an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tishylou Is Making A Comeback!

  Hi! Fancy seeing you here! Well, actually, fancy seeing ME here as I'm the one who has been AWOL. Life has been changing so much for me these past 3 years that my love of blogging got pushed aside. But I just celebrated my 49th birthday and felt compelled to revive my blog. I have still been reading and reviewing, but it's mainly been short posts on my social media pages, like Tiktok and Instagram. I really miss long form reviews and the personal posts I used to share with you. So, I'm going back to my roots. I plan on doing a Get To Know Me post soon for those of you who aren't familiar with me and my crazy life. That will be followed by bringing and expanding some of my Tiktok reviews on here. I have chosen 10 very special books for my first 2 weeks of posts, and I hope you'll feel how much I love them and what they mean to me.  So, I'll leave you with this for now. To those who have always supported and encouraged me, thank you from the bottom of my heart. ...

Blog Tour Stop and Review of All Wrapped Up by Heidi Swain

Hi friends! Long time no see! I have been so bad at blogging, and any book reviews I've done have been just on my social media pages. But it's tradition that when a new Heidi Swain book comes out, it HAS to appear on my blog! In fact, my last blog post was almost a year ago, for a Heidi book. If  you  know me at all, you know I love being in Heidi's books. They are so comforting, wholesome and hope filled. The locations are always idyllic and the characters always make me want to befriend them. All Wrapped Up is no exception. What They Say : In Wynbridge, the scent of autumn is on the breeze and love is in the air…   Clemmie Bennett has been renovating beautiful Rowan Cottage on the outskirts of the small town of Wynbridge, for eighteen months following a very public heartbreak back in her childhood hometown. The popular Instagram influencer, lost her husband, sold their home, and has been cosied up the Fens and living a very private life, but now she feels it’s time for ...

2015: The year of working, laughing, loving and living

Well, here we are. A week and a half into the new year. Are you all sticking to your resolutions? I am, so far. I decided that I want to be more Sparkly. That to me, means happier, nicer, more kind and caring. It means feeling good about myself and my choices. It means feeling free to love and laugh. Over the years I have lost my giggle. That was one thing my Mum told me in a letter she wrote me before she died. Never stop giggling. And I'm sad to say I did stop. People have noticed, family and friends have commented on it. My fiancĂ© has mentioned it more than once and it was starting to cause problems. I got quite depressed and struggled on a daily basis. Books were kind of a saving grace as was Twitter. But the real world and my REAL life were shut out. So, this year I have decided to change all of that. 2015 is my year of laughing, loving, travelling, working, smiling, playing and giggling. I will still read and review, but only the books I choose. No more blog tours unl...