Skip to main content

Goodbye 2020

 




Like so many others, I can't wait to see the back of this year. We've all struggled, we've all been isolated and missing loved ones. Our worlds have been turned upside down and it looks like this is our new normal for the foreseeable future. It sucks, but hopefully it will prove to be worth it. So I won't bang on about our Covid year. I will tell you about MY year. 


We began with Dad's funeral early in January, after his passing on December 27th. It wasn't a funeral as such. He wanted no send off but I couldn't quite comply with that. I held a celebration of life for him and it was lovely. Life then carried on as normal for a while.

In March, Steve ended up in hospital with what they called a chest infection, but we now believe was actually Covid. He was in for almost 3 weeks but eventually came home to me. Then lockdown began and things changed for everyone.

May was the worst month for me. Steve went back in hospital due to his kidneys failing. I was alone, isolated and mentally exhausted. I began self harming again. I cried constantly and had very, very dark thoughts. When I spoke to Steve, I pretended I was fine. I was crumbling. It was the 10th anniversary of my Mum's passing, would have been Dad's 70th birthday and we suffered a miscarriage. I hit rock bottom. I saw the signs though and self referred online to Lancashire Women, asking for help. I was assigned a case worker and counsellor and began phone conversations with them.

I was too far down the rabbit hole though and on 5th June, I took an overdose in an attempt to end my life. It didn't work and thankfully I made a full recovery. I carried on with weekly counselling and meetings with my caseworker and I began to heal and become stronger than ever.

By early August, I had bounced back. I was going to crossfit twice a week through Lancashire Women. The ongoing court battle involving my ex was resolved. He pleaded guilty and the charges against me were dropped. I signed up for some more online courses and worked my ass off.

October was a highlight! I held a fundraiser for Lancashire Women to raise much needed money for their amazing services. I was sponsored to shave my head and also organised a raffle with 40 awesome prizes donated, mostly from fabulous authors. I exceeded my goal by raising £1035 and I loved my baldy head. Sadly, it's growing back quickly. Might have to do it again!

Now, at the end of the Year, I have gained 5 qualifications, with more ongoing, read 60 books, made new friends and handled the news surrounding Steve's illnesses pretty well. He's approaching end stage kidney failure and, although his condition is extremely rare, they estimate 2-4 years life expectancy. I haven't told him that bit. Not gona dwell on that. We are just enjoying doing nothing together every day we can. It's perfect and it's all I've ever needed. I've also survived the first anniversary of Dad's death and the first Christmas without parents. That was so, so hard. I learned who my true friends are and I am forever grateful to them.

Hope 2021 is more gentle on us all, but if it isn't, I hope we can learn to be gentle with ourselves. I for one, don't ever want to go back to where I was in the spring.

Comments

  1. The backside of 2020 is a beautiful sight indeed. 2021 is an excellent year to reconnect with loved ones and fulfill the daydreams we had during 2020.

    This is a new year. Love, hugs and more love to you, Steve, and all the fur babies. đź’‹

    ReplyDelete
  2. The backside of 2020 is a beautiful sight indeed. 2021 is an excellent year to reconnect with loved ones and fulfill the daydreams we had during 2020.

    This is a new year. Love, hugs and more love to you, Steve, and all the fur babies. đź’‹

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tishylou Is Making A Comeback!

  Hi! Fancy seeing you here! Well, actually, fancy seeing ME here as I'm the one who has been AWOL. Life has been changing so much for me these past 3 years that my love of blogging got pushed aside. But I just celebrated my 49th birthday and felt compelled to revive my blog. I have still been reading and reviewing, but it's mainly been short posts on my social media pages, like Tiktok and Instagram. I really miss long form reviews and the personal posts I used to share with you. So, I'm going back to my roots. I plan on doing a Get To Know Me post soon for those of you who aren't familiar with me and my crazy life. That will be followed by bringing and expanding some of my Tiktok reviews on here. I have chosen 10 very special books for my first 2 weeks of posts, and I hope you'll feel how much I love them and what they mean to me.  So, I'll leave you with this for now. To those who have always supported and encouraged me, thank you from the bottom of my heart. ...

Blog Tour Stop and Review of All Wrapped Up by Heidi Swain

Hi friends! Long time no see! I have been so bad at blogging, and any book reviews I've done have been just on my social media pages. But it's tradition that when a new Heidi Swain book comes out, it HAS to appear on my blog! In fact, my last blog post was almost a year ago, for a Heidi book. If  you  know me at all, you know I love being in Heidi's books. They are so comforting, wholesome and hope filled. The locations are always idyllic and the characters always make me want to befriend them. All Wrapped Up is no exception. What They Say : In Wynbridge, the scent of autumn is on the breeze and love is in the air…   Clemmie Bennett has been renovating beautiful Rowan Cottage on the outskirts of the small town of Wynbridge, for eighteen months following a very public heartbreak back in her childhood hometown. The popular Instagram influencer, lost her husband, sold their home, and has been cosied up the Fens and living a very private life, but now she feels it’s time for ...

2015: The year of working, laughing, loving and living

Well, here we are. A week and a half into the new year. Are you all sticking to your resolutions? I am, so far. I decided that I want to be more Sparkly. That to me, means happier, nicer, more kind and caring. It means feeling good about myself and my choices. It means feeling free to love and laugh. Over the years I have lost my giggle. That was one thing my Mum told me in a letter she wrote me before she died. Never stop giggling. And I'm sad to say I did stop. People have noticed, family and friends have commented on it. My fiancĂ© has mentioned it more than once and it was starting to cause problems. I got quite depressed and struggled on a daily basis. Books were kind of a saving grace as was Twitter. But the real world and my REAL life were shut out. So, this year I have decided to change all of that. 2015 is my year of laughing, loving, travelling, working, smiling, playing and giggling. I will still read and review, but only the books I choose. No more blog tours unl...