Skip to main content

My Review of The Finding of Martha Lost by Caroline Wallace

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

Martha is lost. She's been lost since she was a baby, abandoned in a suitcase on the train from Paris. Ever since, she's waited in station lost property for someone to claim her. It's been sixteen years, but she's still hopeful. In the meantime, there are mysteries to solve: secret tunnels under the station, a suitcase that may have belonged to the Beatles, the roman soldier who appears at the same time every day with his packed lunch. Not to mention the stuffed monkey that someone keeps misplacing. But there is one mystery Martha cannot solve. And now the authorities have found out about the girl in lost property. Time is running out - if Martha can't discover who she really is, she will lose everything...

WHAT I SAY:

The first thing I want to say about The Finding of Martha Lost is this; this book is special. Like, really special.

I always struggle to find words to express how beautiful Caroline's books are. I always say she's magic and I really believe that. There is something haunting and tragic yet hopeful and joyous within the words of Martha's story and I urge you to read it.

Martha herself is a beautiful character. She's young and naive, sweet, endearing, hopeful, innocent and kind. I wanted nothing but good things for her. I truly feel like we could have been friends.

Elizabeth is another main character and her relationship with Martha is special and sweet. Elizabeth is older and very protective of Martha. She brings her favourite lemon drizzle cake everyday and looks out for her young friend.

There are a handful of other people who all help shape Martha's world, most of whom were lovely. Caroline is brilliant at building rich, likeable characters.

The setting of Liverpool Lime Street Station is fun and different. I had never been there before but felt like I knew it well. I loved the rich history of the station and the city. I have visited since, when I went to the launch party for the book, and felt like I'd been before. There are photos on my facebook page.

I loved the Beatles element of Martha's story too. You can't not like them and relate to them in some way.

The Finding of Martha Lost is a one-of-a-kind tale of friendship, love, hope and courage. 11/10 (Too special for a 10!)

Read it and see what I mean. You will be drawn in to this world too. This book is available now from Doubleday in hardback and ebook.

I got an e-copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tishylou Is Making A Comeback!

  Hi! Fancy seeing you here! Well, actually, fancy seeing ME here as I'm the one who has been AWOL. Life has been changing so much for me these past 3 years that my love of blogging got pushed aside. But I just celebrated my 49th birthday and felt compelled to revive my blog. I have still been reading and reviewing, but it's mainly been short posts on my social media pages, like Tiktok and Instagram. I really miss long form reviews and the personal posts I used to share with you. So, I'm going back to my roots. I plan on doing a Get To Know Me post soon for those of you who aren't familiar with me and my crazy life. That will be followed by bringing and expanding some of my Tiktok reviews on here. I have chosen 10 very special books for my first 2 weeks of posts, and I hope you'll feel how much I love them and what they mean to me.  So, I'll leave you with this for now. To those who have always supported and encouraged me, thank you from the bottom of my heart. ...

Blog Tour Stop and Review of All Wrapped Up by Heidi Swain

Hi friends! Long time no see! I have been so bad at blogging, and any book reviews I've done have been just on my social media pages. But it's tradition that when a new Heidi Swain book comes out, it HAS to appear on my blog! In fact, my last blog post was almost a year ago, for a Heidi book. If  you  know me at all, you know I love being in Heidi's books. They are so comforting, wholesome and hope filled. The locations are always idyllic and the characters always make me want to befriend them. All Wrapped Up is no exception. What They Say : In Wynbridge, the scent of autumn is on the breeze and love is in the air…   Clemmie Bennett has been renovating beautiful Rowan Cottage on the outskirts of the small town of Wynbridge, for eighteen months following a very public heartbreak back in her childhood hometown. The popular Instagram influencer, lost her husband, sold their home, and has been cosied up the Fens and living a very private life, but now she feels it’s time for ...

2015: The year of working, laughing, loving and living

Well, here we are. A week and a half into the new year. Are you all sticking to your resolutions? I am, so far. I decided that I want to be more Sparkly. That to me, means happier, nicer, more kind and caring. It means feeling good about myself and my choices. It means feeling free to love and laugh. Over the years I have lost my giggle. That was one thing my Mum told me in a letter she wrote me before she died. Never stop giggling. And I'm sad to say I did stop. People have noticed, family and friends have commented on it. My fiancĂ© has mentioned it more than once and it was starting to cause problems. I got quite depressed and struggled on a daily basis. Books were kind of a saving grace as was Twitter. But the real world and my REAL life were shut out. So, this year I have decided to change all of that. 2015 is my year of laughing, loving, travelling, working, smiling, playing and giggling. I will still read and review, but only the books I choose. No more blog tours unl...