Skip to main content

My Review of The Day We Disappeared by Lucy Robinson

The Day We Disappeared by Lucy Robinson

 
Lucy Robinson has been making me howl with laughter for a little over a year now. She bravely ate Twizzlers and Twinkies at my request when she went to America and her reaction nearly made me wet myself. Her books are brilliantly witty and observant. Her use of swear words (some she even makes  up!) is hysterical and she never holds back. I had the huge pleasure of meeting Lucy at the Sunlounger 2 author/blogger event last May and she was an absolute gem to be around.



The Day We Disappeared is her 4th novel and is available now.

What They Say:

Annie has a secret. But if she's not going to tell, we won't either. It's a heart-breaking secret she wishes she didn't have - yet Annie isn't broken, not quite yet. Especially now there's someone who seems determined to fix her.

 Kate has run away. But she's not going to tell us why - that would defeat the point of running, wouldn't it? It's proving difficult to reinvent herself, however, with one person always on her mind.

Scratch beneath the surface and nobody is really who they seem. Even Annie and Kate aren't entirely sure who they are any more.

What I Say:

Everyone has been buzzing about this book for weeks now. They were talking about this huge plot twist that totally surprises you. They were right to talk about it. It hit me like a tonne of bricks, even though I knew it was in there somewhere, I had no idea what or when. And when it hit, it hit hard.

Annie is a great character. She's sad and untrusting and just wants someone to love her and make her feel whole again. There's nothing wrong with that, it's what a lot of people want, especially those who have suffered a trauma like Annie has. She's got a lot of fight left in her, though she doesn't believe she has. Her friends, "Le Cloob" are amazing. I loved each one of them. Lizzy is the kind of sister I wish I had. And their father is just the sweetest thing ever!

Kate is feisty but scared. She just wants to start all over again somewhere no one knows her. She has run from something in her past but won't reveal it to anyone. She looks for a new start in a completely different life from the one she left and finds it with Mark, Becca and Joe. The life she starts to build there is so far removed from her previous life that she starts to heal. I loved Kate for her fiery Irish ways, her hilarious banter with Joe and her affection for Stumpy the horse. She sounds like she'd be a brilliant friend.

The two stories told here are intertwined beautifully and the whole book is so smooth and easy to read. I was captivated and curious throughout. Whilst the twist packed a punch, the ending was exactly what I'd hoped for and made me weep.

This is chick-lit with a difference and I would urge anyone to read it! I will be passing this on to a friend who mainly reads Crime novels as I'm curious to hear what she would think!

A twisty, turny, rollercoaster ride with just enough laughter and love to make me smile! 10/10

The Day We Disappeared is available here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-We-Disappeared-Lucy-Robinson-ebook/dp/B00R3C1SYK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429697022&sr=1-1&keywords=the+day+we+disappeared

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tishylou Is Making A Comeback!

  Hi! Fancy seeing you here! Well, actually, fancy seeing ME here as I'm the one who has been AWOL. Life has been changing so much for me these past 3 years that my love of blogging got pushed aside. But I just celebrated my 49th birthday and felt compelled to revive my blog. I have still been reading and reviewing, but it's mainly been short posts on my social media pages, like Tiktok and Instagram. I really miss long form reviews and the personal posts I used to share with you. So, I'm going back to my roots. I plan on doing a Get To Know Me post soon for those of you who aren't familiar with me and my crazy life. That will be followed by bringing and expanding some of my Tiktok reviews on here. I have chosen 10 very special books for my first 2 weeks of posts, and I hope you'll feel how much I love them and what they mean to me.  So, I'll leave you with this for now. To those who have always supported and encouraged me, thank you from the bottom of my heart. ...

Blog Tour Stop and Review of All Wrapped Up by Heidi Swain

Hi friends! Long time no see! I have been so bad at blogging, and any book reviews I've done have been just on my social media pages. But it's tradition that when a new Heidi Swain book comes out, it HAS to appear on my blog! In fact, my last blog post was almost a year ago, for a Heidi book. If  you  know me at all, you know I love being in Heidi's books. They are so comforting, wholesome and hope filled. The locations are always idyllic and the characters always make me want to befriend them. All Wrapped Up is no exception. What They Say : In Wynbridge, the scent of autumn is on the breeze and love is in the air…   Clemmie Bennett has been renovating beautiful Rowan Cottage on the outskirts of the small town of Wynbridge, for eighteen months following a very public heartbreak back in her childhood hometown. The popular Instagram influencer, lost her husband, sold their home, and has been cosied up the Fens and living a very private life, but now she feels it’s time for ...

2015: The year of working, laughing, loving and living

Well, here we are. A week and a half into the new year. Are you all sticking to your resolutions? I am, so far. I decided that I want to be more Sparkly. That to me, means happier, nicer, more kind and caring. It means feeling good about myself and my choices. It means feeling free to love and laugh. Over the years I have lost my giggle. That was one thing my Mum told me in a letter she wrote me before she died. Never stop giggling. And I'm sad to say I did stop. People have noticed, family and friends have commented on it. My fiancĂ© has mentioned it more than once and it was starting to cause problems. I got quite depressed and struggled on a daily basis. Books were kind of a saving grace as was Twitter. But the real world and my REAL life were shut out. So, this year I have decided to change all of that. 2015 is my year of laughing, loving, travelling, working, smiling, playing and giggling. I will still read and review, but only the books I choose. No more blog tours unl...